Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Practicing Drinking

I am working on getting Lily to drink from a "modified" sippy cup. I removed the valve that makes the cup completely spillproof and also, makes the child really suck to get a drink. There have been numerous studies performed that show harm can be done to a child's speech development, swallowing development, teeth eruption, etc. when using this kind of a sippy cup on a regular basis. I guess the point of the studies were to show that you should teach your child to drink and swallow "normally" as opposed to sucking in order to get a drink, since this is not the way they will do it once they are older. Now don't get me wrong, if a cup is to go in the car, the valve will be reinserted since I don't want whatever she is drinking to be EVERYWHERE! I just don't want her to use the valve all the time therefore, she will learn to drink and swallow and will be able to use a "regular" glass sooner too. Anyways, I have just been giving her water and she has fun - she gets a big drink and gags a little sometimes, other times, she plays with the water that has spilled. Ah, the joys of parenthood!! Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: