Sunday, July 02, 2006

Holy Snapping! (Turtle, that is)

Another wildlife visitor we have had recently is a snapping turtle - man, are they ugly! People think that turtles are slow, and in terms of physically moving forward, they are, but let me tell you, they are very fast at snapping at something they feel is threatening to them. This was probably a female coming to the sandy edge of the road from the river to lay her eggs (and Jessica, if you read this, I checked its back for red paint but there was none). We were able to get the snapper on a shovel and put it back down by the river - now, I realize that they are determined and she probably went back towrds the road again at some point but at least I know that on my watch, she wasn't squished under some tire.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Holy smokes! Have I ever missed a lot of updates!
Lily is gorgeous! Love her hair and her impish grin.

Thanks for checking for the paint. We haven't seen the big turtle around either but our neighbor (white house near the water) walks her dogs and keeps an eye out.